Your team works hard on creating content, but are you throwing a punch that’s going to land on target?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the key to getting your content seen by a wider audience. Excellent use of SEO will boost your content in search engine rankings and move your business one step closer to customer retention with every search.
There are entire areas in marketing dedicated to perfecting SEO so it’s no stretch to say that it’s vital to the success of your business. We have compiled a list that will lead to killer SEO results every time. All you have to do is take notes and then, apply these SEO best practices to your content every time.
Keyword phrase research
SEO is heavily dependent on keyword phrases. It turns out that search engines have gotten a bit smarter over the past couple of decades. Now, people are able to search for what they know they want without knowing what it is actually called! Search engines are able to break down the information that they are fed and produce suggestions now. That means that you’re going to want keywords that draw searchers to your brand.
Some tips for keeping the keyword phrase game on-point:
- Keep content relevant to your brand- if you are a tire company and you’re posting blogs about generic gardening tips then your site isn’t going to attract your target audience.
- Don’t overdo it- Keywords should be used but within reason for the length of the content. For example, using the word ‘tires’ 20 times in one paragraph doesn’t increase your SEO quality--it deters readers.
Alt Image Text
How many of us search on Google by ‘images’? Alt image text is your way into image searches. Adding alt image text is an advantage for those that have sight impairment or are simply searching by ‘image’. There are a few things to keep in mind when getting your alt image text on board with SEO best practices:
- Add keywords to the image whenever you are able to.
- Use dashes between the words in the file name instead of underscores
- Describe the image as it appears
If you’re eager to learn more about Alt Image Text then check out this helpful article that will help you knock out the best SEO practices in that area.
An overlooked trick in creating SEO-friendly content is utilizing those keyword phrases in headers. Both ‘headers 1’ and ‘headers 2’ can help link your content to search engines. Wanting to make sure that you throw the best punch and don’t overdo it?
- Keep it simple and use your keyword only once in H1
- Continue using keywords in H2, but again, keep it simple. Use a variation of the keyword to create a successful SEO without running the risk of being repetitive.
Readers, potential clients, loyal customers--whatever your term of endearment may be for your audience--want your content to be short and simple. Get to the point and get there quickly. We are all the product of a fast-paced society with information at our fingertips continuously. Having Grade-A SEO practices is all about precision.
- Paragraphs should ideally be 3-4 sentences.
- Bullet points are helpful for sharing quick facts and useful information.
- Avoid using bold and italics. Only emphasize what is necessary.
Refresh Your Knowledge
Search engines, algorithms, and general SEO changes frequently. What worked for your business last holiday season may be obsolete by the time the first snowfalls this year. Match your efforts against the data when it comes to SEO. Don’t overuse keywords and opt-in for higher ranking ones as soon as you discover them.
SEO may seem like a beast, but the truth is that it only takes careful research and consistent implementation to come out on top of searches. You’re not alone if you think that SEO can wait until later. Many businesses opt for content creation without putting in the extra work of SEO best practices. Then, they regret it. Don’t make the mistake of letting SEO pass you by. Consider repurposing old content by exchanging outdated keywords for relevant ones.
No need to stand shaking in your boots. You are capable of establishing SEO best practices in your business. We’ll just be here watching you rise to the top!